US defence and military officials are holding a news conference at the Pentagon.
US Army Maj Gen Hank Taylor, joint staff deputy director for regional operations security, says the focus of the evacuation operation remains to “get as many people out as efficiently and safely as possible”.
He says 42 US military aircraft – 37 C17 and five C130 planes – took 11,200 US personnel and 7,800 personnel from 48 allied partners out of Afghanistan yesterday.
He says a plane departed Kabul airport every 39 minutes.
He says there are more than 10,000 people currently at the airport awaiting departure.
“This is a snapshot in time,” he says as more people could arrive at the airport in a bid to leave the country.
- Mali’s army says 17 soldiers, 4 civilians killed in Tessit attack
- From al-Shabab to the cabinet: Somalia’s move fuels debate
- Chad military govt agrees to launch peace talks with opposition
- London’s Horniman Museum to return Benin Bronzes to Nigeria
- ‘We’re also starving’: Ethiopia’s Afar says aid only going to Tigray