US pro-democracy organisation Carter Center has confirmed the death of John Marsh, an American citizen who was contracted to manage its social media monitoring project in Ethiopia.
The organisation says Mr Marsh died unexpectedly in Addis Ababa on Monday – when regional and federal elections took place in the country.
According to the National Election Board of Ethiopia, Mr Marsh was a special guest of the election and not an observer.
The Carter Center did not mention any cause of death or whether it was being treated as suspicious.
From 2005 to 2008, Mr Marsh also led the organisation’s efforts to support elections and democratic dialogue in Ethiopia.
- Mali’s army says 17 soldiers, 4 civilians killed in Tessit attack
- From al-Shabab to the cabinet: Somalia’s move fuels debate
- Chad military govt agrees to launch peace talks with opposition
- London’s Horniman Museum to return Benin Bronzes to Nigeria
- ‘We’re also starving’: Ethiopia’s Afar says aid only going to Tigray