Egyptian foreign minister Sameh Shoukry said on Thursday that it was essential to resolve the Renaissance Dam issue before the onset of the next flood season.
Shoukry said during a discussion with Josep Borrell, the European Union’s High Representative for Foreign Affairs, that Ethiopia’s decision to unilaterally fill the Grand Ethiopian Renaissance Dam will have negative repercussions and stressed the importance of global involvement to resolve the case, news channel Al-Arabiya reported.
Meanwhile, Borrell tweeted that the “EU will keep working closely… with Egypt for a prosperous neighbourhood.”
Egypt last month said it has endorsed a Sudanese proposal to internationalize arbitration in the years-long dispute with Ethiopia over the dam that Addis Ababa is building on the Blue Nile.
Shuokry said Cairo backs the formation of an “international quartet” including the US, the European Union, and the UN, along with the African Union to facilitate reaching a deal on the filling and operation of the Grand Ethiopia Renaissance Dam.
The dispute centers on how much water Ethiopia will release downstream if a multi-year drought occurs and how the three countries would settle any future disputes. Egypt and Sudan also call for a legally binding agreement on the dam’s filling and operation, while Ethiopia insists on guidelines.
- The weekend donates $1 million to fund relief work in Ethiopia
- At least 20 people killed, 3 injured in road carnage in Southern Egypt
- UK, Kenya travel restrictions to disrupt cargo transport, trade
- Ethiopia says will fill Nile mega-dam despite impasse, Egypt issues warning
- Ethiopia: massacre in Tigray fuels genocide fears