Egypt says it plans to produce more than one billion doses of China’s Sinovac Covid vaccine a year.
Health Minister Hala Zayed told reporters that under a deal with the Chinese firm, a factory in the capital, Cairo, would make more than 200 million doses a year for the local needs.
Another factory will produce five times as many for export, mainly to African countries.
So far, only 7.5 million people in Egypt, out of a population of more than 100 million, have received at least one dose.
- Mali’s army says 17 soldiers, 4 civilians killed in Tessit attack
- From al-Shabab to the cabinet: Somalia’s move fuels debate
- Chad military govt agrees to launch peace talks with opposition
- London’s Horniman Museum to return Benin Bronzes to Nigeria
- ‘We’re also starving’: Ethiopia’s Afar says aid only going to Tigray