The traffic accident happened early on Monday when a freight truck carrying about 25 passengers skidded off the road and overturned, killing 12 people and injuring several others, the South Gondar Zone Communication Office in Amhara regional state said in a statement according to the Xinhuanet.
The freight truck was carrying food grains in addition to the passengers on board, it said.
The statement further said the police attributed the cause of the accident to possible overloading of the freight vehicle or a failure to observe local traffic rules.
- The weekend donates $1 million to fund relief work in Ethiopia
- At least 20 people killed, 3 injured in road carnage in Southern Egypt
- UK, Kenya travel restrictions to disrupt cargo transport, trade
- Ethiopia says will fill Nile mega-dam despite impasse, Egypt issues warning
- Ethiopia: massacre in Tigray fuels genocide fears