A dawn raid at a prison in Empangeni city in South Africa’s Kwa-Zulu Natal province has uncovered marijuana worth 12,000 rand ($600; £800), a journalist working for state broadcaster SABC reports.
The acting National Commissioner of Correctional Services Makgothi Thobakgale led the raid at the Qalakabusha correctional centre.
The prison has seen several prison breaks in recent years, the reporter added.
Four prisoners who escaped the facility recently are still at large.
More than 30 mobile phones and traditional medicine were also reportedly found during the raid.
- Mali’s army says 17 soldiers, 4 civilians killed in Tessit attack
- From al-Shabab to the cabinet: Somalia’s move fuels debate
- Chad military govt agrees to launch peace talks with opposition
- London’s Horniman Museum to return Benin Bronzes to Nigeria
- ‘We’re also starving’: Ethiopia’s Afar says aid only going to Tigray