Military advances against armed groups in Mozambique’s northern Cabo Delgado province are “a very important step” for the resumption of natural gas projects, a Mozambican minister says.
Stability was crucial to bringing back activities in the region that were interrupted by jihadist attacks, Energy Minister Max Tonela said.
In April, French energy giant Total suspended its $20bn (£14.6bn) natural gas project in northern Mozambique – the largest private investment in Africa – because of armed attacks in the region.
One of the conditions imposed by Total was the restoration of security in the project’s zone in Rovuma basin, the minister said.
On Sunday, the military confirmed the seizure of the key port city of Mocímboa da Praia by Mozambican and Rwandan forces.
It said the troops were still advancing to consolidate “all the areas that are still critical
Rwanda sent a military contingent to Mozambique last month to assist in the fight against armed groups in Cabo Delgado under a bilateral agreement.
The southern African regional bloc, Sadc, officially launched its military mission to fight “terrorism and violent extremism” in northern Mozambique on Monday.
- William Ruto wins Kenyan presidential election
- Egypt’s pyramid of Cheops explored in virtual reality in Paris
- Burkina: NGOs denounce “extrajudicial executions of more than 40 people”
- Sudan: More than 50 dead from floods triggered by seasonal torrential rains
- Calls for peace in Kenya as presidential race tightens