Rights group Human Rights Watch (HRW) has called on the Nigerian authorities to take measures to ensure the protection of civilians against abuses by security forces.
It follows the submissionto the Lagos state government of a report into how the police and army handled anti-police brutality protests at Lagos’ Lekki tollgate last year.
The report, which was leaked on Monday, concluded that the military and the police opened fire on peaceful protesters, killing at least 11 and wounding around 30 while four went missing.
It described the incident as a “massacre”.
Nigeria’s army has denied shooting live rounds at protesters.
HRW says the authorities should now focus on what it calls “correcting their wrongs” instead of “denying the truth”.
The report into what happened at the Lekki tollgate is yet to be officially made public.
The Lagos state government has said it will release a white paper on the findings in the coming weeks.
- Mali’s army says 17 soldiers, 4 civilians killed in Tessit attack
- From al-Shabab to the cabinet: Somalia’s move fuels debate
- Chad military govt agrees to launch peace talks with opposition
- London’s Horniman Museum to return Benin Bronzes to Nigeria
- ‘We’re also starving’: Ethiopia’s Afar says aid only going to Tigray