Seven people have died and dozens more are in hospital after eating poisonous turtle meat in Tanzania’s semi-autonomous region of Zanzibar.
Zanzibar’s President Hussein Mwinyi sent condolences to the families of the deceased, in a message shared on Twitter.
Some 24 others were admitted to hospital in Pemba after the incident.
Turtle meat is a common delicacy among locals living along the coastal areas of the Indian Ocean.
It is believed that this particular one consumed was from a poisonous species.
Pemba police boss Juma Sadi has banned the consumption of turtle meat following the incident
- From al-Shabab to the cabinet: Somalia’s move fuels debate
- Chad military govt agrees to launch peace talks with opposition
- London’s Horniman Museum to return Benin Bronzes to Nigeria
- ‘We’re also starving’: Ethiopia’s Afar says aid only going to Tigray
- Somalia names former al-Shabab spokesperson as religion minister