South African President Cyril Ramaphosa has authorised the release of a special investigation report into the irregular awarding by the health ministry of a contract for a Covid-19 media campaign.
The investigations found that the contract awarded to a firm, Digital Vibes, was irregular and that senior officials had benefited from some of the money paid to the company.
A report on an investigation into the scandal was handed over to the president in early July.
There have been repeated calls for it to be made public.
In a statement on Wednesday, the presidency said that in the interest of fairness, all parties mentioned in the final report had been notified before the release “so they could have an opportunity to object to its publication or part thereof”.
The report has now been published on the presidency’s website.
The matter forced the resignation of Health Minister Zweli Mkhize in June, after he had been placed on special leave to answer allegations that he influenced the hiring of his close associates in the tender.
Last weekend, the health ministry announced the suspension of the director-general of health, Sandile Buthelezi, over the issue.
- Mali’s army says 17 soldiers, 4 civilians killed in Tessit attack
- From al-Shabab to the cabinet: Somalia’s move fuels debate
- Chad military govt agrees to launch peace talks with opposition
- London’s Horniman Museum to return Benin Bronzes to Nigeria
- ‘We’re also starving’: Ethiopia’s Afar says aid only going to Tigray