The southern Africa regional bloc, SADC, has agreed to extend the presence of regional troops battling insurgents in northern Mozambique.
Mozambique’s President Filipe Nyusi confirmed the extension late Tuesday at the end of an extraordinary summit which was called to assess the performance of the soldiers.
The first phase of the regional troop deployment was scheduled to end on 15 October.
President Nyusi said that Mozambique was satisfied with the assessment made so far and that the situation had improved significantly in the affected areas.
The summit paid homage to three soldiers who died while on the mission in Mozambique. The three were from Tanzania and Botswana.
- Mali’s army says 17 soldiers, 4 civilians killed in Tessit attack
- From al-Shabab to the cabinet: Somalia’s move fuels debate
- Chad military govt agrees to launch peace talks with opposition
- London’s Horniman Museum to return Benin Bronzes to Nigeria
- ‘We’re also starving’: Ethiopia’s Afar says aid only going to Tigray