Zambian lawyer Nelly Mutti has become the country’s first female speaker of parliament – responsible for the orderly conduct of debate as well as disciplining lawmakers
She was elected unopposed by the new set of MPs and will be deputised by Attracta Chisanga and Frank Moyo.
The new President, Hakainde Hichilema, expressed his “hearty congratulations” in a post on Facebook.
“You have a mammoth task ahead but I am confident that you are equal to the task.” he added.
- Mali’s army says 17 soldiers, 4 civilians killed in Tessit attack
- From al-Shabab to the cabinet: Somalia’s move fuels debate
- Chad military govt agrees to launch peace talks with opposition
- London’s Horniman Museum to return Benin Bronzes to Nigeria
- ‘We’re also starving’: Ethiopia’s Afar says aid only going to Tigray